|Spam Blocker Information||
Let us create a 3d Digital eBook for you! DigyCat.com
How To Stop Spam (Especially If You're Already a Victim)
Spam. Those annoying, time-consuming emails that clog your Inbox and ruin your day. You wonder: How did it ever get so bad? While it's not possible to completely eliminate spam, there are quite a few things you CAN do about the problem to reduce your burden.
Spam is defined as an unsolicited email trying to get you to buy something. In addition, it's email that tries to get you to give up something: your credit card number, social security number, login ID, etc., by pretending to be a legitimate email. Here are some tips for stopping the current spam you're getting, and avoiding getting on new spam lists.
1. Maintain two email addresses: a Personal Email Address (that you give to family, friends and business associates), and a Safe Email Address (one you use whenever you're ordering something online, signing up for an email newsletter, or creating a profile on a website).
For instance, I use a Hotmail account for my Safe Email Address. If a spammer were to get a hold of that address, fine. All the spam will go into my Hotmail account, which I only look at once a week. Hotmail has a great anti-spam filter built in, so it's easy to see what's spam and what's not. This practice leaves my personal email account relatively spam-free (maybe I get two spam emails a day to my personal account). Some free email services include Hotmail, Yahoo and GMail (Google's new email service).
2. Use your Safe Email Address to send emails to companies who might be harvesting email addresses from incoming emails. For example, say you want to write to a company to ask them about their products. Some companies will harvest your email address from the email you send to them, and put you on their mailing list. By using your Safe Email Address, you can avoid seeing messages from these companies come to your personal email address.
3. Stop giving your email address to everyone who wants it. Does your local bank really need your email address? Does your grocery store need it? Just because someone asks for it doesn't mean you have to give it to them. If it's a non-local company, or you are signing up for a mailing list, then they probably do need it. But it's okay to leave the email address blank when filling out forms. Always ask yourself, Do I want to be contacted by this company via email? (Speaking of mailing lists, make sure the companies you subscribe to have a public, posted Privacy Statement on their website.)
4. Do not put your Personal Email Address on your website. Instead, use a form so that your email address is hidden. However, some spammers use special software that looks at the HTML code hidden in the form to steal your email address, so using a form by itself isn't always the safest route. Better yet, use a free Form Processor so that your email address is never even in the HTML coding on your pages.
5. Never buy anything that's sent through a spam email. First, it just encourages them to continue to spam. Second, it tells them that your email address is accurate, and they can then sell that address to someone else.
6. Never reply to spam and ask to be unsubscribed. They'll just ignore it anyway, and it tells them that your email address is accurate, which just keeps you on the list. Note: many legitimate emails newsletters and mailing lists use automated unsubscribe links at the bottom of their emails, and you CAN use these to get off of mailing lists.
7. Use anti-spam software, like Norton Internet Security, on your own PC to filter spam as it comes into your email system. You still receive the spam, but it gets filtered to a Junk Mail or Bulk Mail folder, and segregates the spam from the legitimate email. Most anti-spam filters need to be trained, however, so you'll have to occasionally tell the filter that something is NOT spam that it inadvertently put into the Junk Mail folder. Many of these anti-spam filters work on the principle of White Lists (legitimate email addresses that you DO want to receive email from) and Black Lists (spammer email addresses that you do NOT want to receive email from). Learn how to train your anti-spam software and it will work wonders for you.
8. Check to see if your ISP or hosting company has anti- spam technology in place, to catch spam before it even hits your Inbox. Be careful, though, because sometimes these filters are over-zealous and you have to train it to accept emails from mailing lists that you have subscribed to.
9. Do not use a catch-all email address. A catch-all email address is set up if you have your own website, and it is intended to catch all of the incoming emails sent to your domain even if there is no legitimate mailbox by that name. For example, your email address might be email@example.com. If that mailbox is set up as a catch all, and someone sends an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (with a spelling mistake in the email name), it will be forwarded to email@example.com. However, spammers know about catch-all email addresses, and will take your domain name mydomain.com and add common prefixes to it, like info@ or admin@. If you have a catch- all, then those spamming emails will come to you, even if you don't have a legitimate mailbox of firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com set up with your hosting company. See how easy it is for spammers to get to you?
10. Finally, if spam is really bad, create a new personal email address for yourself, tell everyone about the new address (give them several reminders that you are changing email addresses), then delete the old personal email address. This may seem a little drastic, but if you receive 200 spam emails a day, it might be time to time this final step to eradicate it.
You are not powerless against spam. But you do have to take action to fight back. Don't let them bully you into accepting hundreds of unwanted emails a day! Take action now to reclaim your Inbox!
About The Author
Karyn Greenstreet is a Self Employment expert and small business coach. She shares tips, techniques and strategies with self-employed people to boost clarity and focus, create sustainable motivation, and increase sales and profits. Visit her website at www.PassionForBusiness.com
Spam Blocker - Google News
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
How You Can Avoid The New Dangers Of Spam
Until recently, spam has been an annoyance, a definite load on your email system and network, a waste of productivetime and money, but we are about to find that the cost couldget much higher.Spam blockers are now becoming a necessity rather than an optional email utility, the reason is that spam is becomingmuch more dangerous.
Do Not Spam
The temptation among internet marketers to SPAM is greater than ever. By now, most people know that SPAM isn't the popular food from Hormel but a pseudonym for "unsolicited commercial email," also known as UCE.
The War on Spam: Google Fights Back
Google is engaged in a war. It is a war on spam.
Stuffing the Spammers!
I'm really, truly fed up with spam. Every day when the spam arrives and Norton Security moves it into the Norton Anti-spam folder of my Outlook email client, I wonder how anyone can be so incredibly stupid as to waste their time sending me such garbage.
A War on SPAM: Attacking The Evil
As most small, medium and large businesses in this country have seen the SPAM Emails have hurt our productivity and caused excessive costs.Here are a few very interesting web links on this issue and the FTC report on SPAM to Congress.
Customers Demand Internet Privacy
Why Is Spam Such a Problem?
Spam can be a lot more damaging than you might think. Obviously, they are the most annoying thing that you can receive through your inbox, but it goes deeper than that.
A Practical Approach to Eliminate Spam
Spam is out of control! I guess that would be the understatement of the year. Like any other annoying fact of life, you let it drive you crazy or you deal with it.
How Spammers Fool Whitelists - And How to Stop Them
Effectively stopping spam over the long-term requires much more than blocking individual IP addresses and creating rules based on keywords that spammers typically use. The increasing sophistication of spam tools coupled with the increasing number of spammers in the wild has created a hyper-evolution in the variety and volume of spam.
Block Ads, Defeat Pop-Ups, and STOP Page Hijacking
You're not alone!Who hasn't surfed the web looking for information only tohave their session interrupted by those annoying pop-upwindows displaying everything from banner ads to newslettersign-up's?Though pop-up windows and other methods of influencing auser's online experiences originally had positiveintentions, they now seem only to annoy and manipulateusers at every turn.For anyone who ever felt extremely irritated by onlineadvertising, the following advice should help.
The Cybermagic of Whitelists
Before we start getting deep into the meat of this article it's important to explain some standard terminology to make sure the rest of this article makes sense.An IP address is a number which identifies your location on the Internet.
Dealing With SPAM - An E-mail Address Strategy
With SPAM being such a problem it might seem the right thing to do is never give anyone your email address. As a strategy that's not bad but it misses one rather important point; the purpose of having an email address is to be able to exchange emails, both with friends and also as a means to receive eZines from online forums and information sites.
Protecting Yourself With A Porn Filter
The harmful affects of pornography use and addiction are well documented by science. As with most things in life, prevention is the most effective way to avoid ever having a problem with pornography.
Block Spam with An Easy Behavioral Change
E-mails now have a connection back to their servers. I willleave the technical aspects out of this article.
The Fastest Delete Finger in the Midwest!
There are hundreds of thousands of people who are trying to make an honest living on the Internet these days. The Internet is a great opportunity for starting your own business.
Why Your ISP Takes Bribes From Spammers
The lifeblood of the spammer is email. They need to be able to send lots of it on an ongoing basis to stay in "business".
Im Guilty Until Proven Innocent
No doubt about it."Spam" (unsolicited commercial email) threatens toparalyze and ultimately destroy the email system as itcurrently exists on the Internet.
Email Spam and Phishing
It seems like the volume of email spam has doubled in the last month. Increasingly, we receive daily emails for better mortgage rates, pharmaceutical discounts, and offers to enlarge body parts we don't even have.
I Love Spam!
What's the big deal? All you read on the internet is spam, spam, spam. Spam protection this, spam protection that.
Is Spam Affecting Your Business Email?
5 Ways Spam Is Affecting Your Business And what we can alldo to prevent it.If you had only just got online, and received your firstfew emails, you may be forgiven for thinking you had hitpaydirt.
DigyCat Domain Is For Sale - $105,000 For Enquiries eMail Us
© www.DigyCat.com - 2012